Year of joining: 2014
My research concentrated on mechanism to a deeper understanding of ecological interactions in managed forests, plant-soil-microbe interactions; forest plant community dynamics, terrestrial biogeochemistry and nutrient cycling (carbon sequestration), ecological modelling, short rotation woody crop bioenergy systems, and restoration and measurement of soil functions in creating sustainable landscapes.
I am also studying Life cycle assessment (LCA), particularly of perianal grasses for bioenergy systems on mine degraded land-use for carbon capture and storage studies. I employ field, lab, and lab-in the-field experiments, develop survey tools and analyze large panel data sets to better understand the dynamics of soil biogeochemistry for nutrients cycle. I am also developing some ecological models to understand complex patterns and processes in natural and human-impacted ecosystems.
In my PhD thesis, I implemented new methods for forestry reclamation approaches in coal mine degraded land basically, the impact of regenerating forest ecology including: natural & artificial regeneration; resistance and resilience of forests to disturbance; succession; landscape; climate change adaptation, nutrient cycling, and sustainable intensification in a restored ecosystem in India.
- PhD in Environmental Science & Engineering, Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad.
- Sanjoy Kumar, S.K. Maiti and S.Chaudhuri, Soil development in 2-21 years old Coalmine Reclaimed Spoil with Trees: A case study from Sonepur-Bazari Opencast Project, Raniganj Coalfield, India. Ecological Engineering. Volume 84, November 2015, Pages 311–324. DOI: 10.1016/j.ecoleng.2015.09.043.
- Sanjoy Kumar, S.K. Maiti and S.Chaudhuri “Soil Dehydrogenase Enzyme Activity in Natural and Mine Soil -A Review”. Middle East Journal of Scientific Research 07/2013; 13 (7):898-906. DOI:10.5829/idosi.mejsr.2013.13.7.2801.
- Sanjoy Kumar, S.Chaudhuri and S.K.Maiti, Assessment of Physico-Chemical and Mineralogical properties of alluvial soil. International Journal of Ecology and Development. 23 (3): 25-39, 2012.
- Sanjoy Kumar, S.Chaudhuri and S.K.Maiti, Soil Microbial Biomass Carbon in Natural and Degraded Soil–A Review, Published in Environment and Ecology. 29 (3B): 1689-1695, 2011.
- Sanjoy Kumar, S.Chaudhuri and S.K.Maiti, „Soil characteristic affecting the Mycorrhizal spore density in alluvial soil of Raniganj Coalfield areas‟,; IIIrd International conference on environmental , Industrial and Applied Microbiology, Bio-Microworld 2009 , 2-4 , Dec 2009, Lisban, Portugal, Pp. – 246.
- Sanjoy Kumar, S.Chaudhuri and S.K.Maiti, ‘Soil Microbial Properties of Alluvial Soil with Depth Profile In Eastern Part of Raniganj Coalfield‟‟, Fourth International Conference on Plants & Environmental Pollution (ICPEP-4), NBRI, Lucknow under the area Bio-indication & Bioremediation, Dec 8-11, 2010, India.
- Sanjoy Kumar, S.Chaudhuri and S.K.Maiti, “Status of arbuscularmycorrhizal infection in different plant species growing in soil dumps of SonpurBazari opencast project, (RCF), International Conference on Environmentally Sustainable Urban Ecosystems , IIT, Guwahati, Assam, India, February 24-26, 2012.
- Sanjoy Kumar, S.K.Maiti, S.Chaudhuri. “Potential Soil Organic Carbon Sequestration in Reclaimed Afforested Post-Mining Sites of Raniganj Coalfield, India”. National Climate Science Conference Divecha Centre for Climate Change Indian Institute of Science Bangalore. July, 2015.